- Ask Friends, Relatives and Co-Workers for References.
- Interview at Least 5 Contractors.
- Be Realistic About Availability.
- Ask What Work Will Be Done by Subcontractors.
- Choose the Right Contractor for the Right Project.
- Check Licenses, Complaints and Litigation History.
- Check References.
- Sign a Detailed Contract.
How do I find out if a contractor is licensed?
Always verify a contractor’s license by visiting www.myfloridalicense.com, calling (850) 487-1395 or by downloading the free DBPR Mobile app. Your BBB provides information on how to find properly licensed professionals, including an easy to use checklist.
How do I find a contractor to build a house?
Finding a good contractor for your residential project takes time, patience and research, but saves you from a potential disaster.
- Contact friends, family and associates.
- Visit lumberyards in your area.
- Contact the local building inspector.
- Contact the residential contractors on your list with the most check marks.
What to do before hiring a contractor?
8 Things to Know About Hiring a Contractor
- Know what you want.
- Get bids from several contractors.
- Do background checks.
- Investigate a contractor’s work history and work habits.
- Set boundaries for the job site.
- Know what you’ll be paying for.
- Have a strategy for how you will resolve differences.
- Be aware of contract details.